In this technological world that we are living, it is very important for teachers to be in vogue with new technologies. This will allow them to better understand their students who are actively browsing the web, to adapt their teaching methods to the needs of their students, and to improve their own IT abilities.
This article will focus on the benefits of e-learning for teachers. On the one hand it will focus on how e-learning allows educators to improve and develop their teaching styles and, on the other, how online platforms can positively impact the professional self-development of teachers.
Improvement in Teaching Style
Every teacher has their own style of teaching, but usually they try to adjust their approach depending on the learning needs of their students. Regardless of what style a teacher uses, it’s important to develop positive attitudes, set goals, and establish high expectations for students. Effective teaching methods engage gifted students, as well as slower learners and those with attention deficit tendencies. This is where differentiated instruction and a balanced mix of teaching styles can help reach all students in a given classroom, not just the few who respond well to one particular style of teaching.
In this context, e-learning is a channel and tool through which teachers can improve their teaching styles; here are some of its key benefits:
- connecting – e-learning platforms allow teachers to stay connected to their students outside of school hours in order to exchange resources, videos, ideas, methodologies, and pedagogical practices
- flexibility – as e-learning combines a huge variety of different resources such as videos texts, presentations, and quizzes, it gives teachers the opportunity to adapt their teaching methods to the learning styles of their students
- innovation– the use of new technologies gives teachers the freedom to experiment in their teaching practice and the ability to make changes if something doesn’t work
- accessibility – as online platforms are available 24/7, they allow teachers to develop and create their materials whenever they want to and according to their schedules. It is also important to note that all teaching materials can be reviewed as many times as needed
- passion-based learning – online platforms allow teachers to support their students outside the classroom where they don’t have much time together, and to give them additional instructions on subjects like arts, singing, chess, and cooking. It gives teachers the opportunity to lead students to success both during and after school hours
- efficiency – e-learning allows teachers to receive constant feedback from their students about whether they understand the material, if it is interesting to them, etc. Online platforms provide a large variety of assessment tools.
- improving communication with parents – e-learning offers greater transparency to parents in terms of what their children are preparing for school and contributes to better communication between teachers and parents.
- save time -time is one of the most precious commodities for educators. By eliminating the need to commute to school or university during evenings and weekends, educators can spend more time on learning concepts.
- greener and cost-effective – teachers do not have to pay for classroom rentals, travel fees, or printing costs since e-learning activities take place online . Paper consumption is also significantly reduced because all of the information is in an electronic format.
Improvement of Teacher Self-Development
We all know that teachers are really busy. That is why, for some educators, learning, professional development, and reflection slip down the list of priorities. It is not their desire that is the issue, but time is what in fact challenges them. For this reason, e-learning platforms can really help teachers save time and allow them to focus on their own self-development. Here are some of the areas in which online platforms support educators to improve:
- creativity – on a daily basis, teachers are challenged to become more versatile and creative in order to attract the attention of their students. Using а variety of online resources for an online training provokes and develops the creative thinking processes of educators.
- lifelong learning – e-learning platforms are one of the channels that educators can use to deepen their knowledge and increase their skills.
- building a community – online platforms allow educators to stay connected with colleagues from all over the world, as well as to share ideas and gain inspiration.
- self-reflection – teachers can make audio and video recordings of their lessons and then watch, analyze, and reflect on the recordings afterwards.
- observation – observing other educators in your school or via different online courses can be very enlightening. It helps teachers compare different teaching styles, practices, etc., as well as become more aware of what kind of teachers they are.
- feedback – e-learning platforms are a good opportunity for teachers to receive feedback on their teaching style from their students and colleagues in order to see where they can tweak their habits and make improvements.